techtravels.org

inital results on error correction

While I have yet to actually implement the full-scale error correction as I want to, I did some manual tests today. I basically took a track that I was erroring out on, and swapped in 1-bit away values for the bad bytes.  In some cases, it appeared...

Latest articles

too many variables

too many variables

I think that’s really the problem I’ve been facing with this floppy project. Trials and tribulations indeed. Or at least trial and error, with stress on the error part. There are probably less than half-a...

recent status

recent status

Well, I’ve put a decent number of hours in on the project over the last couple weeks. I’ve mostly been “spinning my wheels” because I haven’t made much progress, but I think I’ve...

java and portability

java and portability

While I have some experience with Java, I’ve never tried to run my stuff cross-platform. Never a real need. While most of the Java stuff has yet to be written, I took some basic serial code and GUI stuff, and...

PC to SX transfer images

PC to SX transfer images

I haven’t spent much time within the last few days on the project. Looking at the data on the PC, I think that there are still some problems. I think the problems lie in the fact that the interface to the parallel...

java software updated

java software updated

Tonight I’ve finally got around to adding a config file option so that you don’t have to keep selecting a comport to open.  It also remembers your “number of retries” before skip options. Simply...

still no better

still no better

Well I’ve decided that my current approach just isn’t improving the situation. And despite help from a lot of people, I’m no better off than I was a few weeks ago. I happened to stumble upon...

mid-january status

mid-january status

So here’s where I’m at: I know my memory read and write routines are good.  I calculate a checksum as I’m writing the data, and on the output of that data to the PC, I also calculate the checksum. ...

more testing

more testing

so I put the amiga floppy back on the amiga, and the amiga reads disks no problem.  Glad to see that my drive hadn’t fried through all my messing around. I haven’t seen valid MFM coming from the drive in so...

funky idle routine

funky idle routine

I’m making some progress. On a whim, I told my software to never go idle, to simply stream data constantly. I’ve never liked how I handle the idle state, and I currently lose whatever data thats in the shift...