first day back

You know, I always hate the “first day back” working on a project.  Things always seem to get screwed up between the time I last worked on a project, and that day.  Even if nothing has changed. Or so I say.

I came back and starting getting a lot of “SYNC errors.”  A sync error occurs whenever the software thinks it’s reading track #20, and for whatever reason the drive is giving data for track #21 — or some different track.

That was this time’s problem.  I really don’t know what changed or what affected it, but I decided to slow the thing down a little bit, and that seemed to solve the problem.  Right now 50ms seems to fix it, but I’ll lower that, and more importantly dig a little deeper to see if I can figure out why the heck I need that.

50ms doesn’t seem like  a long time, but I really don’t like it after I spent so much optimizing this thing to be as fast as possible.  I was trying to go back in time with the software, to see if maybe something like my updated receive UART code was screwing things up, but it didn’t help much……

About the author

keith

Amateur Electronics Design Engineer and Hacker

2 Comments

  • I bumped the delay to 10ms, and all seems right.

    Something was getting out of sync, and adding the small delay seemed to allow enough time for everything to reset.

    I attempted to read about 85 disks, and about 46 of them read perfectly….. While I’m pretty sure my error correction algorithm junk would help, I might revisit the way I read the pulses.