I’m about to bring a new member of my family into this world. As a new proud parent, I’m completely unsure about what this means in terms of time, dedication, and so on. I’m sure I’ll have less free time to spend on projects like this. As a result, updates and improvements are unlikely to happen in the short term.
Something to remember is that I’ve already achieved my goal, which was loosely, “to create a device that sits in between a PC and a floppy drive that can read amiga floppies and create emulator .ADFs in a reasonable period of time.” You know, crossing the finish line was rather anti-climactic, mainly because (as you’ve seen) there are so many smaller, but no less important, steps that all add up to a working product.
I’ve learned a fair bit on this project, and would like to go back and identify the specific problems I faced, how I eventually solved them, and why they presented such a challenge. There were some really fundamental mistakes I made which frustrated things, and made this task harder than it should have been. I think other beginners can learn from my mistakes, and I’d like to make a post/(maybe a paper?) on some basic do’s and dont’s.
In any event, there are a few things I want to touch up, but then I’ll be posting a copy of the java source, compiled java with instructions on how to execute, and the SX firmware.
Note that I’m not going incommunicado — I’ll be monitoring the blog and email as usual.
Last but not least, there are a number of things I really want to do with this thing, namely build a custom circuit board. I’d like to add the writing capability, but that is a fairly large task. There are other minor to-do’s that eventually need done. So I’m not finished yet here.
You know, I could never have gotten as far as I have without the help of people here, especially Tim and David, and people over at the Parallax forums(Bean, pjv, Michael C, Guenther), who I’m pretty sure are tired of my posts and my frustration.